Guard Remover® Eco – A Better Cement and Efflorescence Remover
Guard Remover Eco Efflorescence & Cement, by Guard Industry, is the efflorescence remover you’ve been looking for. This product quickly removes efflorescence, cement, concrete and tartar deposits. Yet it is mild enough that it will not damage underlying surfaces.
Traditional Efflorescence Remover Products
Strong acids are the basis for ‘run of the mill’ cement and efflorescence removers. These products are cheap, but nasty! Strong acids can cause all kinds of damage. They are dangerous to use and can cause serious injury to the user. Plus they will corrode, or etch many materials.
Strong acids penetrate deep into porous surfaces. As such, they are almost impossible to completely remove. Even if neutralised. Further, these absorbed acids will dissolve minerals in the substrate. These will leach to the surface in time. Quite often, this creates worse problems and all kinds of stains can appear. Some common examples are iron (orange / brown), vanadium (green), and manganese (black / blue) staining. But the most common is recurring efflorescence!
What’s the point of an efflorescence remover that creates more efflorescence?
Plus, salts left behind from acid reactions cause still more problems. Hydrochloric (HCl) acid is the most common acid used for brick and concrete cleaning. This is because it is cheap, readily available and fast acting. The main species left behind after a HCl acid clean are chlorides.
Chlorides can cause a myriad of problems. These include:
- Salt Damage – when salts crystalise within porous materials. As crystals grow they apply sideways pressure on the pores and tiny fractures form in the material surface. This makes the stone or concrete crumble and erode prematurely.
- Concrete Cancer – chlorides accelerate corrosion of steel. Chlorides left behind in the concrete corrode steel reinforcing. As the steel rusts it swells and cracks the concrete. The cracks allow more water and oxygen in and the corrosion rate accelerates.
- Desiccant Effects – Calcium is liberated when cleaning lime based materials (cement, limestone, plaster). If HCl is used to clean such materials the salts left behind will be calcium chloride. Calcium chloride acts as a desiccant. That is, it absorbs moisture. It will even draw humidity out of the air. This is most commonly identified by damp areas which do not dry out. Even after a series of dry days with no rain. Patches are mostly seen in low spots where water naturally pools. Water containing acid cleaning residues have been allowed to dry out in these areas. As they dry the salts are left behind.
Guard Remover® Eco – Cement and Efflorescence Remover
Guard Remover Eco is a new generation product. It is far less hazardous than other products available in the market. Guard Remover Eco is not classified as either corrosive or an irritant. This cleaner has been designed to be very effective without being harmful. It is safe for the user and for natural and artificial stone.
Guard Remover Eco cement and efflorescence remover does not need to be neutralised after rinsing. So you get a quicker turn around, less risk and better results.
Guard Remover Eco is effective for removing efflorescence, laitance and concrete bloom. So we recommend it to be used for surface prep prior to application of our sealers and treatments. A solution of Guard Remover Eco diluted 50/50 with water is sufficient for prep of most surfaces. Preparing the surface with a solution of Guard Remover Eco will:
- Make surfaces cleaner.
- Highlight the natural colours for a more vibrant appearance.
- Ensure you get the best possible performance from the sealer.
Do you have more cleaning to do? Are you preparing an old surface for a reseal? Do you need to maintain an existing seal? Please check out our other cleaners.